01 November 2009

Angry Samoans

I first stumbled upon this band by accident. I was about 11 years old when I was walking past my local used book store (the Book Pit - R.I.P.) and noticed a record with a weird monster holding a severed head on the cover sitting in the dumpster. It was in terrible shape: warped, split seams, rips, college radio call letters scribbled all over it. I had no idea what it was, but i knew that it looked bad ass! I went home, put it on my parents turntable and after the constant skipping throughout the 1st song due to the warping ended, the second song kicked in; I was floored. A song about poking your eyes out with a fork? Holy shit, this is insane!!! I knew that i had discovered something amazing. To this day, that destroyed, warped copy of the Angry Samoans - Back From Samoa is my most prized possession.

Here is part one of my Samoans collection. Most of these were found in record stores and through trades with friends, fans, and from Metal Mike himself! A few were tracked down on eBay, but the majority were obtained through digging through boxes and bartering with other cretins.

(all record breakdowns will be clockwise from top left)
1. Queer Pills e.p. (stamped)
2. Return of the Queer Pills e.p.
3. Queer Pills e.p. (unstamped - rumor has it that only the 1st hundred or so got out unstamped. I have never seen another one in person or on the Internet!)

4. No Surf Commies (signed and graffitied by Metal Mike)
5. Don't Change My Mind (signed and graffitied by Metal Mike)


6. Kurt Cobain's Dead (signed and graffitied by Metal Mike)
7. Party With Satan (signed and graffitied by Metal Mike)


8. Inside My Brain (1st Press - Bad Trip Records)
9. Inside My Brain (Test Press - PVC Records)
10. Inside My Brain (PVC Records)

11. Back From Samoa (German Press - Aggressive Rock Produktions)
12. Back From Samoa (Subway Records - Blue Vinyl)
13. Back From Samoa (1st Press - Bad Trip Records)
14. Back From Samoa (1st Press - Bad Trip Records {dumpster copy mentioned above})


15. Back From Samoa (Test Press -PVC Records)
16. Back From Samoa (Original full page newsprint ad)
17. Yesterday Started Tomorrow (Test Press - PVC Records)
18. Various press releases that came with #17
19. Yesterday Started Tomorrow (PVC Records)
20. S/t 12" aka: Yesterday Started Tomorrow (1st Press - Bad Trip Records - Sealed)

21. STP Not LSD (Test Press - PVC Records)
22. STP Not LSD (1st Press - PVC Records - Sealed)
23. STP Not LSD (Test Press - XXX Records)
24. STP Not LSD (1st Press - PVC Records)

25. Live At Rhino Records (XXX Records)
26. Return to Samoa (Shakin' Street Records - Blue)

3 comments:

  1. Aw Hell yeah Evan! One of my faves to, as you know. BOOK PIT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice collection. Nice score on the unstamped QP ep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an impressive collection, bigger than mine tho I have a Queer Pills test pressing. About 15 were made and none of them have ever been offered for sale.

    ReplyDelete